Pages

Tuesday 24 March 2009

The joy of teaching!

Most of the time, we - teachers - are dealing with students with no motivation at all! We forget that from time to time there are some people who do enjoy our lessons or would enjoy them if we stopped thinking that they are there just because there's no other option (or something of the sort...)
Today I had a trully rewarding experience when a student told me she had felt so enthusiastic about the topic we were dealing with that she searched the internet for more information on the subject. She even told me she had discussed the topic with her mother and that they were both really interested in it.
I had decided to start working with a text about cultural diversity and the importance of keeping our own language. In class we discussed the effect of global English and students in general seemed to be engaged.
Some of them agree that it's a good thing, some others, believe it's bad for our own identity... Well, I'd say I have to learn from this experience to keep them motivated! And most important of all, I'm making them reflect on others things which go beyond the teaching of grammar and that sort of stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment