Pages

Thursday 3 June 2010

I DID IT AND IT WORKED!!

I DID IT AND IT WORKED!!

I taught my first lesson more than a decade ago and I still cannot understand how students cannot remember question words! There are many things they don't remember... I know... but question words are being constantly used throughout the year...

This year I'm teaching 1st, 2nd and

3rd grade and none of them really know/remember the meaning of question words (1st graders aren't supposed to know that, though…) Anyway, I decided to do some "cut 'n paste" work IN the classroom! I wrote some question words on the board and asked them what they (mainly) referred to. So, the question board ended up something like...

I divided the group in 4 big teams. Each team would make a poster with each word to hang it on the classroom wall. Students were asked to bring some specific pictures for the following lesson considering the team they were in. They had to bring magazines, colour pencils, scissors, glue, paper and anything else they considered necessary to make the posters. I must confess I didn't expect them all to bring what I had asked... However, most of them did and we could work without problems!!

It took them a little bit longer than a single period but they managed to do it and... I SURVIVED!! That day they laughed, shouted, teased each other, chatted more than ever during the (MY) English lesson (!!), stood up more than necessary... The classroom was a complete mess, I must say! BUT THEY WORKED!!! And at the end of the "lesson" they had finished with their posters. They had managed to organize themselves and I have to say... they had worked collaboratively towards the same goal!

I'm very happy with the result and for that reason I decided to share some of them with you all. (I didn’t bring the ‘WHEN’ poster home since it was the only one which wasn’t finished but I promise to post more pictures when all the groups finish doing them)




















1 comment: